Before getting into details of the plan I want to add that I have not adhered to the plan 100%. Before starting I knew I had a dinner party the first weekend and a family get together the second weekend. I was able to eat clean all week and I did indulge for ONE meal at each party. That's one of the important things. They weren't "cheat days" they were "cheat meals." Big difference.
I am pretty excited about how I've been eating. Although... I am always excited about food - hence the reason I am even worrying about this. I'm excited for two reasons:
One, I feel like I have finally found a sustainable "eating right" plan that I could really apply to the rest of my life.
Two, I have FINALLY, FINALLY found a way to combat my biggest diet/commitment problem. It's called decision fatigue, and I didn't have a name for it until the first week in January. I was talking to a friend on gchat about my past inability to commit to a diet and she sent me the article I just linked about willpower. I didn't even end up reading the entire article right away because I was just too excited about the paragraph about decision fatigue. Now that I've been able to identify my biggest hurdle I can manage it so much better. When I wake up every day knowing what I'm going to be eating that day, the exhausting process of trying-to-find-something-healthy-to-eat-while-you're-ravenous becomes a non-issue.
The best way to combat decision fatigue is to meal plan. A step further than that is to plan for cravings. My biggest cravings are for sweets and dairy, so for this week I planned to eat these tacos with a big dollop of greek yogurt on them to replace the mounds of sour cream that I usually crave with tacos. It actually worked. Greek yogurt alone doesn't taste like sour cream (not even close) but paired with a corn tortilla and ground turkey made with low sodium taco seasoning, I didn't even have to pretend. It was great! I honestly didn't even need the cheese I used. For the rest of the week I had just the turkey and "sour cream."
Of course even with the taco and sour cream plan I still have cravings daily. I even crave things I normally wouldn't eat. For example, I was pumping gas the other day and this monster buffalo sandwich ad was staring me right in the face. Normally this wouldn't even be something I'd want, but since I couldn't have it... It was the best looking sandwich I'd ever seen.





No comments :
Post a Comment